Westminster Cycling Campaign News - April 2015
Improvements planned at Cambridge Circus
LCC Westminster web site »
Westminster's contractors are currently consulting the public about improvements to Cambridge Circus.
The proposed improvements include:
- Restricting Charing Cross Road northbound from Cambridge Circus to buses and cycles from 8am to 7pm, Monday to Saturday,
except for access from side streets.
- Introduction of a right turn from Charing Cross Road northbound into Shaftesbury Avenue eastbound;
- Closing the existing cycle route in Moor Street, between its junctions with Old Compton Street and Charing Cross Road
and pedestrianising part of Moor Street between its junctions of Cambridge Circus and Romilly Street;
- Relocating the existing cycle racks and de-cluttering of junction by removing all unnecessary signage and street furniture.
- Introduction of a contra-flow cycle lane in Old Compton Street between its junctions with Greek Street and Charing Cross Road and in Litchfield Street,
between its junctions with Charing Cross Road and West Street;
- Relocating the existing southbound bus stop in Charing Cross Road immediately north of the junction, to a point further north;
- Introduction of advanced stop lines for cyclists;
The contraflow cycle lanes in Old Compton Street and Litchfield Street are destined to be part of Quietway 19 between Soho and Covent Garden,
which is not due for implementation until after 2016.
The consultation period ends on 8th May 2015.
Subject to approvals, it is planned to start the works on site in August 2015 and to be completed by February 2016.
See the plans and download the consultation leaflet »